Goodbye Internet Explorer, our old friend!

It has been announced that after almost 27 years, Microsoft has finally ended its support with Internet Explorer on June 15, 2022. The Internet Explorer desktop application we all know and love has permanently retired and is now replaced with the brand new chromium-based Microsoft Edge.

It has been announced that after almost 27 years, Microsoft has finally ended its support with Internet Explorer on June 15, 2022. The Internet Explorer desktop application we all know and love has permanently retired and is now replaced with the brand new chromium-based Microsoft Edge.

Internet Explorer 11 retirement timeline (Microsoft)

Ever since the launch on August 24th, 1995, Internet Explorer has been the go-to browser for accessing the internet. Microsoft constantly remained up to date on their operating system and had integrated 11 versions in total over the years, up until Microsoft Edge publicly became the company’s preferred browser.

Over the years of helping customers and evaluating websites and applications, 99.7% of applications are compatible on the newest versions of Microsoft products- however, that remaining 0.3 percent is a concern- which is why Microsoft Edge has implemented something called IE mode (Internet Explorer mode). This is a built-in Microsoft Edge compatibility feature which allows for users access to those Internet Explorer-based websites and apps directly through Edge giving a dual engine advantage. Microsoft Edge is the browser for business and the future of Internet Explorer- which is why it is essential that all users are aware on how to install IE mode.

How To Enable IE mode on Microsoft Edge

  1. Launch Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
  2. Click Settings and More (top right corner)
  3. Select ‘Settings’ option
  4. Click on ‘Default Browser’
  5. Below the ‘Internet Explorer compatibility’ section, click the toggle switch to turn on ‘Allow sites to be reloaded in Internet Explorer Mode’
  1. Click ‘Restart’

To open an incompatible websitewith IE mode on Edge, use these steps:

  1. Open Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
  2. Click ‘Settings and More’ (top right corner)
  3. Select the ‘More tools’ submenu and click the ‘Reload in Internet Explorer mode’ option.

After these steps are complete, the website should reload in compatibility mode. The option will not be available in the menu unless the feature is enabled as per the steps above.

TO EXIT IE MODE, use thesame instructions, except for step number 3, select the ‘Exit Internet Explorer mode’ option.

Goodbye Old Friend, you will be missed. Say hello to Netscape for us!

Interested in Learning
More about Our Services?

Contact us to request a consultation.